Sunday 8 December 2013

Ben L'Oncle Soul at Scala!


Hi Londonistas! I think we can all agree that one is never at a loss for things to do in London Town. One thing you can expect on The Leaping Londonista is suggestions and features on activites you can busy yourself with in all parts of our city. One such event that I attended on Wednesday night was a gig by Ben L'Oncle Soul, who is to me one of the best contemporary soul artists France has to offer. (Before you kill me, I'm just expressing personal opinion!) The venue was Scala in Kings Cross, which is befitting for a French artist me thinks. The chill in the air was more than crisp and had me thinking I was in an arctic container. Lol! So you can imagine my grin when I saw that the queue to get in wasn't too long. 


 Ben L'Oncle Soul's support act was a Senegalese singer, who introduced himself to us as Father Freddy. I welcomed Father Freddy with some apprehension. After all, do we not all dutifully wait for supporting acts to come and go, so we can see the real deal? The artist we have actually paid our £££s to see? My cynicism increased when Father Freddy walked onto the stage, banging a walking stick on the floor with every step, with a guitar strapped to his chest(or was it his back?) and locks tumbling out of a bowler hat. Can this get any more gimmicky? I'm thinking by this point. To cut a long story short, Father Freddy pleasantly surprised me. His voice is amazing, and he did a good job at engaging the audience. I would describe his style as soulful folk music. (Sorry for the compartmentalisation but it's the best way I can describe it). He sang songs such as Reality and Child's Play and even took us though a soulful rendition of Aloe Blacc's I Need a Dollar. He had me believing that he would actually sing until someone threw a dollar his way! By the end of his set, I was converted. I must say though, that I didn't realise that his name was actually Faada Freddy until I was given this small card by the beautiful singer himself, at the end of the event.

Faada Freddy's album is entitled Gospel Journey and you can listen to a few of his tracks here.


By 9pm Faada Freddy, had me sufficiently riled up and ready for Mr. Soul himself. So you can imagine my excitement when finally at 9.10pm Ben L'Oncle Soul swaggers onto stage, with the Monophonics and two very palatable backing singers. By this time the floor had totally disappeared, and from where I was standing, on a kind of raised balcony, all I could see was a carpet of heads. 



Ben L'Oncle Soul's childlike excitement was so obvious in the way he jumped and danced all over the stage without it making an iota of difference to his voice! He sang songs like Yes I do, and Walk the Line, a track featuring on his next album of the same name. I wish I could talk about how much I sang my little heart out, but I must admit that although I've owned Ben L'Oncle Soul's self entitled album since 2010 I'm still not familiar with all the lyrics (half of which are en français). So I mumbled along with half confidence, which I must say hurt me when he launched into Petite Soeur ("Je te connais par cœur" Lol!). What I loved the most was the way his feelathomeness dispelled all signs of formality. Literally, we could have been in a jam session with him in his living room. And this casualness was most charming when he suddenly reprimanded some people who were beginning a scuffle. "Eh! Stop the fight. On n'est pas là pour se battre", in the middle of verse two will be one of my fond memories of the night. 

Ben L'Oncle Soul is an amazing performer, and for most of the night I had the feeling of partying in a mowtown fête! I hate making comparisons, and Ben L'Oncle Soul is totally an artist in his own right. But his music reminds me of Otis Redding and Bill Withers. The Soul Man really is an exciting performer, with so much energy! He even came back on stage twice to two encores! The £20 we paid was so worth it. My only disappointment was that he did not perform Seven Nation Army, which is what I expect most of the crowd was waiting for too.




Ben l'Oncle Soul's new album, 'Walk the Line' is set for release in February 2014.
Check out his latest single 'Hallelujah!!! (J'ai tant besoin de toi)' on www.benlonclesoul.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...